September 3, 2015
Meet the owners
Doncaster Rovers are holding the latest of their "Meet the owners" events at the Keepmoat Stadium this evening in the newly "Legends Club" in the East Stand.
The meeting takes place between 6pm and 8pm and is free of charge, but you need to get a ticket from the ticket office beforehand, due to limited space. The fact that this was mentioned on DROS yesterday suggests that there are still some tickets available.
Among those attending will be boss Paul Dickov, some of the Rovers' directors and CEO Gavin Baldwin.
September 3, 2015
Askins goes out on loan
Young Rovers defender Ben Askins has joined Whitby town on a one month loan deal, Rovers announced yesterday.
Askins, now aged 19, has come through the Rovers youth system, but missed most of last season with an ankle injury. He was given a new six month contract in the summer, but has made the move into non-league football to get some first team match experience and could make his Whitby debut in their home game against Nantwich Town on Saturday.
September 3, 2015
Theo joins Motherwell
Former Doncaster Rovers striker Theo Robinson has joined SPL club Motherwell on a one year contract after hunting for a new club all summer after Rovers released him at the end of his contract in the summer.
He signed last Thursday and went on to make his Motherwell debut on Saturday as a second half substitute in their game against Kilmarnock, which saw his new club winning 1-0.
It took a couple of his footballing friends to persuade him to try his luck north of the border, as he told BBC Scotland: "I've got a couple of friends up here, the likes of Lionel Ainsworth and Stephen Pearson. It's a good tempo game in Scotland, they said I would enjoy it. So it was an easy decision to make."
September 3, 2015
Aaron enjoying life at Rovers
New Rovers defender Aaron Taylor-Sinclair is enjoying life at Doncaster Rovers, and in particular that he has been getting a regular place in the first team, which he was not getting at previous club Wigan Athletic.
With a large number of games coming in the first month of the season, it's certainly been a challenge for the 24 year old Scot, who told the Doncaster Free Press: "After basically having a year out of football it’s taken me a bit longer to get up to speed. After this barrage of games has passed and we head into next month I’ll be really looking to kick on. Modern day full backs have to do their work offensively and defensively, so I’m looking to get forward a bit more. Myself and Cedric [Evina] get along well on and off the pitch so I think that’s helped me settle in. But, like I said, I think there’s a lot more to come."
He added: “I played one game last season, and this month I’ve played six so far. That’s what we’re dealing with though, and I’m enjoying it. As a footballer you’ve always got slight niggles but you get on with it and your recovery is very important. A club like this makes sure you recover right and you’re ready for the game. There are a few injuries and we could do with a few bodies back for Saturday but that’s the manager’s problem and not mine – I just focus on what I can do to help the side."
September 3, 2015
Johnstone's home raided
Ex-Rovers loan goalkeeper Sam Johnstone was away on duty with Manchester United just over a week ago when his home was targeted by car thieves.
The Manchester Evening News report that his home was raided by a 'gang of thieves' who smashed their way into his home, found the keys to his £40,000 black Mercedes A Class AMG and drove it away.
A police statement said: “Officers attended and discovered thieves had broken into the property and stolen a car from outside the property. Enquiries are on-going to trace the offenders."
His partner, Bryony Turner, tweeted after the incident: “When you work hard for things and then people invade your privacy and steal it.”
Police believe that the raid was timed for when Johnstone was known to be abroad with United. He is the latest in a number of footballers who have been targeted by criminals in the north-west of England over the last few years.
September 3, 2015
Wabara explains why he left Rovers
Former Doncaster Rovers defender Reece Wabara has been explaining why he decided to turn down the offer of a new contract with Rovers to try his luck elsewhere i the summer.
In an interview on BBC Radio Sheffield, subsequently reported by the Doncaster Free Press, Wabara said: "They [Doncaster] offered me a contract in January. It was a two-and-a-half year deal, which I kindly said ‘no’ to due to the reason that I wanted to keep myself ambitious and I didn’t really want to be tied down. I wanted to test myself a bit further, as my ex-manager’s already said.”
Wabara had trials with Glasgow Rangers during the summer, but had held out for hopes of playing in the Championship this season, and added: “It wasn't’t a case of just going to any Championship club. If you’re playing at the bottom of the Championship, it’s better to play at the top of League One because you’ve got the ball and you’re going out to win as opposed to not losing. Ultimately wherever I went it was a case of going into a footballing side which was ambitious. That was my main aim this summer - to go to an environment which matched my ambition to better myself."
Reece signed for Barnsley last month and made his debut for them against Millwall a couple of weeks ago.
September 2, 2015
Rovers 0 Burton Albion 0 (5-3 on pens)
Doncaster Rovers progressed through to the second round of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy last night, but had to go to their second penalty shoot-out of the season to do so.
Boss Paul Dickov made several changes to the side, as had been expected, in order to rest a number of first team regulars, and the number of changes seemed to have an effect on the performance, with five Academy graduates being named in the starting line-up. Paul McKay was given his first team debut, Liam Mandeville made his first senior start, with ex-youth teamers Mitchell Lund, Harry Middleton and Billy Whitehouse also starting the game.
McKay went on to have a good debut alongside Andy Butler in central defence,Mandeville played well up front alongside Curtis Main, although he drifted out of the game as the evening went on, eventually being replaced by Andy Williams with 20 minutes to go.
Just as pleasing was the first appearance of Paul Keegan, who has not started a competitive game in six months. Paul played the whole first half before being replaced at the break.
Rovers were perhaps fortunate to reach the second round, with their opponents edging the game, but Burton failed to capitalise on what chances they did have - although fortune was on Rovers side when the referee mistakenly flagged for offside as Burton striker Lucas Akins raced clear from 40 yards with what appeared to be an ill judged back pass by a Rovers player. The referee's assistant did not flag for offside, but the referee did.
Rovers replaced Thorsten Stuckmann with Marko Marosi at half time, and the replacement stopper went on to produce some good saves as Burton enjoyed the majority of the possession in the second half.
But goals are what win matches, and Burton failed to capitalise on their possession, so the game ended goalless and went straight to penalties.
Rovers scored all five of their spot kicks, with Andy Williams, Curtis Main, Harry Middleton, Richard Chaplow and Cameron Stewart all successful, while Tom Naylor, the taker of Burton's third penalty, saw his spot kick saved by Marosi, which proved to be the deciding factor.
September 2, 2015
What the managers said
Rovers boss Paul Dickov was pleased to see his side progress in last night's game, admitting that the number of changes meant that the performance was not as good as it could have been.
He said after the game: "The performance was not great by any means, but the team as a whole, especially the young kids in there, showed a lot of commitment and desire to get a result. I have said all along that we have a good young crop of kids here - we want to they and bring them through, but look after them. We have had a fair few games, so it was a good chance to rest a few and give the kids a chance. The first 20-25 minutes, they were really nervy, but they settled down in the second half. Marko (Marosi) did well. He has improved a heck of a lot. He has worked really hard. He made a good save towards the end and is yet another good youngster coming through."
Burton boss Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink was disappointed not to win the tie, telling the Burton Mail afterwards: "The first half was even but in the second we looked in control and created lots of chances. But you have to score them and move on. If you don't take them then you always know there is the chance for them to win. I can only say I'm happy with the performance and the way we played, with more of a passing game. We created and in that aspect I'm very happy but we need to be more clinical."
September 2, 2015
Wellens stays
Midfielder Richie Wellens is staying at Doncaster Rovers after talks between the player and an unnamed team in the North West failed to result in him securing a deal.
With the transfer window now closed, Wellens will be remaining at the club, although the "emergency loan window" does open next week, but boss Paul Dickov does not anticipate a loan move for the player.
Dickov told the Doncaster Star: "Richie will be in training on Thursday. The move never materialised. I’ve said a lot that a signing is never done until it’s done. It looked as if it was happening Friday and Saturday, went cold Sunday, looked on again Monday but didn’t on Tuesday."
"I’ve been more concentrating on the Burton game and trying to get the players in that I’ve wanted. I spoke to Richie at half five on Tuesday to see where he was at with it all and he’ll be with us on Thursday."
"The whole reason Richie wanted to make the move was to move to a club a lot nearer where he lives. It’s not, for whatever reason, happened for him. But there’s certainly no problem with me welcoming him back because Richie Wellens is a quality player."
September 2, 2015
Rovers sign Gobern on loan
Doncaster Rovers have signed Queens Park Rangers midfielder Oscar Gobern on loan until 4th January, the club announced yesterday.
He became the only signing on 'transfer deadline day', with Paul Dickov identifying him as a potential replacement should Richie Wellens eventually move away from the Keepmoat Stadium.
Gobern joined QPR in the summer from Huddersfield Town, but has so far only played twice, both in the Capital One Cup.
He began his career with Southampton, making 27 appearances before moving on to Huddersfield in 2011, where he played 79 games.
The club have stated that there is no recall clause in the deal signed with QPR, and he could make his Rovers debut on Saturday, when Rovers play at Gillingham.
September 2, 2015
Goals review
There are just two goals from former Rovers players to report on this morning.
In last night's Johnstone's Paint Trophy, Uche Ikpeazu scored the only goal of the game for Port Vale as they beat Carlisle United at Vale Park.
From the weekend's action, Jon Parkin returned from injury for Forest Green Rovers and took to the field as a substitute in the 71st minute and marked his return in style, scoring their second goal within sixty seconds of going on to the pitch. Forest Green won the game at Kidderminster Harriers 2-0 to make it six straight wins for Forest Green.
September 2, 2015
Tamas joins Cardiff
Former Doncaster Rovers defender Gabriel Tamas has joined Cardiff City on a one-year contract. He had been at the club for a short trial period, and clearly impressed boss Russell Slade during that time.
The 31 year old last played for Steua Bucharest, and last played in England for Watford, where he suffered a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament last September.
Gabriel commented on Instagram: "I wanted to return to English football and out of a few offers, decided that Cardiff City was the club I wanted to come to. I’ve met up with the manager and a few of the boys who I remember playing against during my time in the UK. I’m looking forward to training with the boys and getting out there."
September 2, 2015
Husband goes back to Fulham
Ex-Rovers defender James Husband has returned to Fulham on a month's loan from Middlesbrough, where he will act as cover for Kay Voser and the injured Luke Garbutt. It marks the second loan spell for Husband at Craven Cottage, as he made five appearances for them last season.
Interestingly, as was the case last year, Fulham's Fernando Amorebieta has made a loan move in the other direction - exactly the same as happened last season. However, Amorebieta has gone to Middlesbrough for the full season this time, whereas Husband is only at Fulham for a month.
September 2, 2015
Travel info to Gillingham
The Rovers' Supporters Club are running coaches to the away game at Gillingham, which is on Saturday, 5th September.
Coaches leave Retford at 8.30am, Harworth 8.35am, Bawtry 8.45am, Rossington 7.45am, Hare & Tortoise 8.50am, Doncaster Royal Infirmary 9.00am and the Keepmoat Stadium at 9.15am.
Fares for the trip are:
Members: Adults £22 - OAPs £20 - Under 16s £18
Non-members: Adults £24 - OAPs £22 - Under 16s £20
Places on the coaches can be booked after 6pm with Paul Mayfield (07961 727769) or Len South (01302 817347) by Wednesday evening.
September 1, 2015
Rovers v Burton Albion
Doncaster Rovers begin their Johnstone's Paint Trophy campaign for this season when Burton Albion will be the visitors to the Keepmoat Stadium this evening.
With a lengthy injury list meaning that several players are already absent, Paul Dickov is expected to give a number of the younger members of the squad their chance this evening, as he hopes not to overburden his remaining fit players. Whether Richie Wellens gets a run out in this evening's game is open to debate, as he was due to talk to an unnamed club yesterday with a view to a move away.
This evening may well see new signing Cameron Stewart given his first start for Rovers after signing last week, with the substitutes from Saturday - Marko Marosi, Paul McKay, Liam Mandeville, Michael Carberry and Billy Whitehouse - all expected to feature.
Those definitely absent will be Nathan Tyson, Harry Forrester, Luke McCullough and Rob Jones, with Paul Keegan and Dany N'Guessan unlikely, as both were only due to resume full training yesterday.
Boss Paul Dickov told the Doncaster Star: "We’re going to have to manage the squad a little bit for this game with Burton. The boys really dug in late on against Fleetwood and game through a tough 120 minutes against Ipswich in midweek. We want to build on Saturday’s result and we want to do well in every game. It’s a great chance to get to Wembley but we’re going to have to look after the lads for this game."
Burton manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is also reported to be intending to shuffle his side for this evening's game, although he will definitely be without the services of Darius Charles and Zeli Ismail, both of who are injured.
All tickets for this evening's game are £5.
September 1, 2015
Wellens move in doubt?
Will he go, or won't he? The future of Richie Wellens is still in doubt this morning, with no news organisations reporting the completion of his transfer yesterday. Wellens had been approached by an unnamed club, understood to be closer to Wellens' home in the North-West, and asked Rovers if he could speak to them, which led to him being omitted from Saturday's squad.
Boss Paul Dickov had set a deadline of yesterday for any deal to be done, thus giving him time to sign a replacement before the transfer deadline closes at 6pm this afternoon.
But the lack of information gives no clues either way, as it could just be that a transfer has not been completed.
Rovers apparently have a replacement lined up from a Championship club.
Paul Dickov is also reported to be trying to bring another one or two players into the club to cover for injury absences, with a right back/centre half expected to be high on his list, with another forward also reported to be a target. They are likely to be loans - but if they are not completed today, the 'loan window' opens again in another week's time.
September 1, 2015
Travel update for tonight's game
Supporters are reminded that Junction 3 off the M18 is closed overnight this week for road works, so anyone who usually uses that junction may have to find an alternative route.
Closures are not due to commence until 8pm, so you should be able to get to the game without any trouble, but you will have to follow the diversion signs for your journey home.
The signposted diversion will take you from the Keepmoat Stadium to the Sidings Roundabout, then turning left and travelling on the A630 through Balby to join the A1(M) at junction 36.
September 1, 2015
Voting results v Fleetwood Town
We received votes for seven different players to be the "Man of the Match" for Saturday's home win over Fleetwood Town, but striker Andy Williams was the clear winner, gaining just short of half of all the votes received.
The players receiving most votes were:
1 Andy Williams (48.39%)
2 James Coppinger (25.81%)
3 Cedric Evina (12.90%)
As always, we thank everyone who took the time to vote; the next poll will open in the morning following tonight's game against Burton Albion.
September 1, 2015
Boyce joins Hartlepool
Former Doncaster Rovers central defender Andrew Boyce has joined Hartlepool United on loan from Scunthorpe United after a number of injuries left Pools boss Ronnie Moore short of defenders.
Boyce has joined for a one-month loan after not having featured for Scunthorpe so far this season.
Ronnie Moore told BBC Radio Tees: "He's big and strong, he's a leader and he suits what we are looking for. He played an awful lot of games last year for Scunthorpe and he's tall, which helps at this level."
Scunthorpe boss Mark Robins told the Scunthorpe Telegraph: "We looked at the situation on its merits and the questions posed and we thought it was the right thing to do for him and us. Hopefully he will get some decent games in during the 28 days and under the terms of the agreement he will come back to us after that time."
September 1, 2015
Dickov praises Curtis
Boss Paul Dickov has praised the attitude of striker Curtis Main, even though he had not been included in the starting eleven for the opening games of the season.
The hard work put in by Main on the training ground has led to him getting more game time in recent games, including on Saturday when he got on the score sheet.
Dickov told the Doncaster Free Press recently: "It’s a slightly different Curtis we’re seeing this season. There’s a determination about him to one get back in the team and two, when he does, stay there. He’s showed us that in training."
"Last year, he might’ve sulked a little bit after being left out of the team, but we’ve not seen any of that."
September 1, 2015
Fulham reject Owls bid for McCormack
Fulham have rejected a £10 million bid from Sheffield Wednesday for ex-Rovers loan Scottish striker Ross McCormack. The Press Association have reported the news last night, with Wednesday apparently not put off by the fact that McCormack recently signed a one year extension to his Fulham contract, with the player insisting that he is happy in London.
Norwich City and Middlesbrough have also been reported to have been interested in McCormack during the summer, but have not made a move so far.